Title: Entrepreneur in Residence
Qualifications: “Evidence of exceptional ability”
Previous Experience: Three to five years of relevant work experience a minimum
Seniority Level: Reporting directly to the Founder
Start Date: September 2020 (full-time)
Who We Are
We are Amplifier – an innovation unit and venture capital investors.
Change-makers for the world’s industrial backend operating system – the supply chain.
Approaching the supply chain as an interconnected ecosystem, we invest at Seed and Series A, from first to last-mile across disruptive logistics, mobility and trade finance technology companies. With a focus on AI deep learning, autonomy, robotics, IoT supply chain traceability and last-mile optimisation.
As a single LP fund – backed by Christian Oldendorff – we also support early R&D projects still in the discovery and validation stage. This includes rapid scale start-up ventures, as well as long-term early deep tech projects for zero emissions. Current examples include:
- ELEMENTAL – An autonomous airship with electric or hydrogen propulsion for sustainable, long-endurance, long-range flight. Partnered with TES and the Dutch space division NLR.
- TOWARDS NET-ZERO – Carbon-free Baltic & North Sea vessels. In partnership with sus.lab at ETH Zurich, ABB and BAR Technology. R&D with €9 million in grant funding from the EU.
Working directly alongside our Founder and LP Christian Oldendorff (CO), overseeing existing venture projects (i.e Elemental and Towards Net-Zero) at various stages along their lifecycle as they move through discovery and validation stages before spinning out into the market. This will include various cross-functional tasks including;
- Venture project management
- Budget – setting and ensuring budgets are met.
- Timeline – setting, tracking and working with the venture build teams to make sure projects are delivered on schedule.
- Reporting – weekly reporting to CO on projects status and KPIs – identifying the biggest challenges to address and developing actionable plans.
- Venture project strategy
- Growth hacking – proactively figuring out how to unlock operational efficiency, improve business processes and deliver scalable solutions within each project.
- Knowledge share – working closely with the founders of each project to drive commercial value and position them for success.
- Promotion & finance – building momentum for the project with key stakeholders, customers and future investors.
- Technology research – a quarterly report on early-stage technology with significant future impact – identifying potential applications and developing actionable plans.
- Market research – a quarterly report on market trends impacting existing projects (i.e. funding conditions and macro demand shifts) – developing actionable responses.
- Discover – to continually be generating and testing a large number of ideas and then filtering and cutting down these into the best, most practical or most innovative ones for future projects. Based on a long term strategy agreed with CO with creativity and radical thinking encouraged.
- Ecosystem building
- Corporate partners – customers for project idea validation, future POCs and scale-up.
- Funding partners – angels and funds to act as early Seed and Series A investors.
- Technology partners – technology companies supporting validation phases.
- Talent networks – individuals with deep experience in the core technology, early-stage company growth and the addressable markets, to advise the projects and or act as a talent pool for founders / c-level hires when projects are spun out.
Our Ideal Candidate
We seek an outstanding candidate, who is highly driven, smart, confident, and gritty. Our perfect match is hungry to learn, has an entrepreneurial mindset and enjoys working in fast-paced environments.
- You have gained two to three years of practical experience in the area of business development, venture development or entrepreneurship, preferably in a start-up, an incubator and/or consultancy.
- You love challenges and can work independently with little instruction, you have a roll-up-your-sleeves and get-stuff-done attitude and are always thinking one step ahead.
- You are capable of creating structure in a relatively unstructured environment, managing diverse projects and meeting your own deadlines.
- You have excellent analytical skills, work diligently, have great attention to detail and are able to consistently deliver results under pressure.
- You are fluent in spoken and written English and German.
- Bi-lingual (GER / ENG), preferably Berlin-based.
- Understanding of business strategy / financial and business modelling.
- Deep understanding of current technology trends early on the innovation curve.
- Highly engaged and with pre-existing knowledge of start-up ecosystems.
We, Amplifier, are a small team, operating with a flat hierarchy to encourage ongoing learning and ensure maximum exposure. We move fast and stay flexible, giving everyone the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, thriving on uncertainty and valuing initiative.
Please address any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org